Hyouka - Great final episode. Second season anyone?!

Episode : 22 17. September 2012 20:51

Today we'll talk about the 22th and final episode of the spring season 2012 anime series Hyouka that gives us an inconclusive ending leaving Eru and Houtarou's relationship uncertain.

I have to say that I was astounded by the marvelous animation style shown in this episode, especially during the beautiful sakura tree scene.

Kyoto Animation must've invested a lot into making this last episode and they sure made me think "I absolutely need to watch this again when the Blu-Ray versions are out".

Hyouka

The series managed to even close down Irisu/Houtarou's relationship substory by letting her make up with Houtarou right at the end.

Truth to be said, I think Irisu is the most beautiful character present in the story and she's actually quite cute as well without her "empress" face/attitude that she constantly keep at school!

Well, this is what I was referring to when talking of "inconclusive ending" and I can sort of understand Houtarou's feelings in this situation.

He just noticed that he loves Eru, but he still doesn't feel sure enough to tell her of these feelings. After all, change is something that we all try to avoid if possible...

I don't agree with Houtarou's "This is what Satoshi was experiencing?" exclamation though. It's different from Satoshi's situation, because Houtarou haven't got any kind of declaration from Eru till now.

Hyouka

The original novels (yes, they're not light novels) are still running and there is plenty of material to adapt a second season if the anime will turn out to be profitable.

Judging from the information around the original author intend to continue writing about this story until Houtarou will finally graduate from high school.

At the moment Hyouka is selling around 9-10K copies per volume that is a very high number for such a nichè anime series (reaching 3-4K copies sold is the "turning point" according to many websites) leaving us good hopes for a second season in the future...

Hyouka

Concluding, Hyouka is one of the best anime series aired in the spring season 2012. Of course, this isn't a series for everyone, but I suggest you to give it a shot regardless. Let's hope they'll decide to produce a second season as well...

Visual Points : 905/1000 (One of the best animation style/quality of the season)

Audio Points : 825/1000 (Great opening songs and nice voice acting)

Story Points : 820/1000 (Some of the episodes were a bit too much slow-paced)

Entertainment Points : 825/1000 (Quite entertaining, especially when Eru is involved.)

Characters Points : 830/1000 (Mayaka! Irisu! Eru! Omochikaeri!)

Final Points : 8.36/10

The series is ranked 41th over 181 series in my rankings (Updated to 17/09/2012 20:41)

9/17/2012 8:58:07 PM #

lilgabiee

He didn't have to say a word.
She knew.
The wind knew.
And then he knew that she knew.

I am Chitanda.
I don't hold anything against Irisu.
I love Oreki.

I've felt the closest I had ever been to Perfection.
It's only beginning.

lilgabiee | 23 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:03:17 PM #

Ahahahah, weren't you Kuroyukihime as well? You're stealing all the bishoujo's positions!

9/17/2012 9:05:36 PM #

lilgabiee

It's true that I've been blessed to relate to such great anime characters this season.

lilgabiee | 23 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:06:48 PM #

I'm curious to see which will be your targets in the upcoming fall season 2012...

9/17/2012 9:09:55 PM #

lilgabiee

I won't replace Eru but I always do =)

lilgabiee | 23 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:10:10 PM #

9/17/2012 9:32:09 PM #

AdamEve

you said it all so beautifully...

He didn't have to say a word.
She knew.
The wind knew.
And then he knew that she knew.

I am Chitanda.
I don't hold anything against Irisu.
I love Oreki.

I've felt the closest I had ever been to Perfection.
It's only beginning.

the magic of this series it that it shows that each moment of our lives is both an ending, and a beginning, mysteries solved are only the start of the next one, and tho i struggled at times with the pace, i learned what they were showing...to be with each event as it was, and not be looking always to an unknown future...to be with what is, and then let what can be unfold...

but to show up, Houtarou surrendered and gave up his isolation which was safe, but came out to the love that Eru knew was possible, they each had to find the key to the door from their own side of the world...

i cannot imagine them doing better with this...

9/17/2012 9:38:38 PM #

Well, the novels are still running and I'm quite curious to give them a good read. I suppose this will add another series to my backlog of reading...

2/14/2013 1:41:24 PM #

KING

I completely agree. This show has something that most shows don't. Some shows are just good and don't go any further but shows like this that give you a unexplained feeling, even magical feeling, are shows that will last forever. I'll wait forever for a movie if there is one to come. It's just like the show over drive. Some people hate shows like this that that, where the origin is boring(a literature club and Cycling club) and want shows with a interesting premise, like Haruhi, but watching how they change a normal or even boring premise into something magical like this and overdrive is what gets my heart throbbing. People say shows like these are boring but that just means you don't get the magical feeling. There's more to anime shows than just constant comedy, and action. There's also depth and development, which this show shows beautifully. Amazing show, it is definitely one of the best ever. Beautiful ending, one that perfectly fits a magical show, such as this one.

KING | 1 Comments | Reply

9/20/2012 3:52:19 PM #

Wieselhead

"He didn't have to say a word.
She knew.
The wind knew.
And then he knew that she knew.
"

well said ♡´◡`♡

Wieselhead | 848 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:01:49 PM #

marthaurion

despite the negativity, I really thought it was alright...Houtarou's pretty boss

marthaurion | 4106 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:03:44 PM #

Now we need the second season in which Houtarou and Eru will switch places right?

9/17/2012 9:04:29 PM #

marthaurion

well, she figured out who was behind the thing this week, right? she's almost there

marthaurion | 4106 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:06:20 PM #

Then we need Houtarou to regress back and start going Kininarimasu (eyes included). Can you imagine that?

9/17/2012 9:07:28 PM #

lilgabiee

I think KyoAni could manage to skillfully pass that

lilgabiee | 23 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:09:57 PM #

/me is actually looking forward to such a development...even for a single episode...

9/17/2012 9:06:33 PM #

lilgabiee

true for both sides

lilgabiee | 23 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:07:02 PM #

9/17/2012 9:13:33 PM #

marthaurion

uhhh...I'll pass on that

marthaurion | 4106 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 9:16:17 PM #

*looks away* I know you want it...

9/17/2012 9:56:03 PM #

marthaurion

pfft...I like Houtarou's character...why would I want to switch?

marthaurion | 4106 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 10:27:11 PM #

...because...you are a male tsundere?

9/17/2012 11:08:50 PM #

marthaurion

if that's what you want to believe...

marthaurion | 4106 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 11:27:09 PM #

*looks away*

9/17/2012 9:26:46 PM #

Posted September 17, 2012 at 08:33 | Permalink

this is one of the best anime series to come along in a long long time. The Art is superb, i am a professional artist and have been a serious student of Anime now for over five years and of all the series i have watched, in any genre i would rank Hyouka among the top three, the style, art, animation, characters, story and unusual and candid view of Japanese life are superb, and without parallel. I hope this sets a trend for more, for this series never descends into any of the trite and overused tropes or tricks, no ecchi, no harem, no cheap and easy characters, each main character is cut from original cloth and crafted with the highest mastery of the art and craft of decades of Anime development. I am eager to see a second season but we may never for the ending episode was classic in it low key yet very strong statements about the future of the characters we have come to love, the few strong sentences in the ending say it all, life is not perfect, life is not even promising, life is life and for these four main characters at least, we have seen and shared their life in electrifying candor and beauty that I hope to see again but rarely will it be surpassed.

The romances in the main quartet were very well done, and the ending with Eru confessing to Houtarou and he also returning it in his own way was superbly non typical and undertoned. The entire feeling of the series is so real that it hurts, and so low key that it is superbly Japanese above all things. Much happens but it happens in a subtle way that is likely to be painful for many western anime watchers and analyists and i dont expect the true mastery of this superb series to be understood by westerners for a while, if ever …but i certainly do and i am so glad that the staff carried the story out with such discipline and dedication to their own vision. So we have a chance to watch life unfold on a small stage for a small group, not stars, and not the leaders of their class, but brilliant and so alive each of them. The final episode was superb, and the visual imagery and the way they handled that, with glimpses typical of real people in such real events, it was just amazing. Well done indeed.

This is a 20 out of ten, a classic beyond classics and a wonderful creation. I am so glad to see anime evolving in such wonderful ways. Bravo, and domo Arigato to all on the team!

9/17/2012 9:42:07 PM #

I won't go as far as defining this a perfect series like you, but it was a worthwhile time investment and I would gladly watch it again when the blu-ray is out.

Still 44th in my rankings is quite good...I wonder if it could've scored better with less "slow story arcs" in between...

9/18/2012 9:54:19 PM #

JimmyFuton

If this show is only 44th on your list, then you've either watched and ranked well over 500 anime series or you, very quite literally, just don't know your **** about anime.

JimmyFuton | 1 Comments | Reply

9/18/2012 10:01:02 PM #

It's all about tastes Jimmy. Your tastes will inevitably be different than mine and those of everyone else. ;)

I have watched well more than 500 series in my anime life, but ranked only 181 in this blog.

9/17/2012 9:34:27 PM #

AdamEve

but i have a question to ask everyone..what did Irisu mean there at the end? i was puzzled by that...  any ideas?

9/17/2012 9:39:41 PM #

It meant that she was just playing her part in order to make the club project succeed in the old encounter between Houtarou and her. In this case, she's merely a side-character so there is no need for Houtarou to be scared of her...

9/17/2012 10:12:03 PM #

ah thanks

re the series, well as i said, it is a very very Japanese story, and has subtle undertones and energy that is hard for us to feel fully i can get some of it because i have been studying Japanese art and literature and history for 45 years...and love it very much. Things even i did not like or understand as the series unfolded came clear by the end...and so that is why i give it such a high rating. At times i almost dropped it too, but am so glad i stayed with it, that ending was just superb..and in ways i think the slow times were needed to bring the brillant moments and the overall message into focus...for without darkness there is no light.

9/17/2012 10:29:15 PM #

True points, I agree with you. Let's hope the new Kyoto Animation project will be up to par...

9/17/2012 10:21:12 PM #

Sakumashiki

Internationally, It seems serious about family of pedigree order...
But Go ahead Houtarou ! Take away Eru !

Sakumashiki | 228 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 10:25:38 PM #

He'll likely continue to avoid the discussion until the very end of the series/high school. What a wimp...

9/19/2012 12:24:35 AM #

Sakumashiki

>What a wimp...
y,Yeah I think so. (; ̄▽ ̄)

Sakumashiki | 228 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 10:46:12 PM #

Kurisu

still wondering if i should finish this series haha...

Kurisu | 286 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 10:50:18 PM #

You should! So much cuteness in this last episode...*_*

9/17/2012 11:14:46 PM #

kurisu

I need some romance!!!!

kurisu | 286 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 11:26:57 PM #

I need to take Mayaka home! *_*

9/17/2012 11:29:57 PM #

kurisu

I don't wana go home with you anymore, I can still remember you undressing me with your eyes as I was cooking curry.

kurisu | 286 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 11:31:37 PM #

*looks away from Kurisu feigning innocence* that's...wrong Kurisu! It's not like I'm completely in love with you or anything!

9/17/2012 11:42:07 PM #

kurisu

Sure you aren't, I'd imagine you wanted me only in an apron and heels that time.

kurisu | 286 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 11:45:06 PM #

9/18/2012 12:39:19 AM #

kurisu

""In her head"" I don't know why but I kinda like it when he stares at me..."

kurisu | 286 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/18/2012 7:24:38 AM #

Tsundere! So lovely...*_*

9/17/2012 11:36:29 PM #

Ecchi Catgirl

I'm all for season 2
I'm going to miss Chitanda unless I take her home

Ecchi Catgirl | 545 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/17/2012 11:45:37 PM #

Ahahah, well I'm still going to re-watch this when the Blu-Ray is released completely. That will be a good way to wait for the second season...*_*

9/17/2012 11:51:45 PM #

AdamEve

yes Sakumashiki, Eru is from one of the Four Families and there is a gap between her and Houtarou but i think he is brilliant enough and man enough to reach across to her, and she appears to be determined to reach across to him. I think a very important moment was when the elder man, either from the Temple or a family retainer, or possibly even Eru's father or a relative, spoke to Houtarou about outsiders and Houtarou replied so earnestly..and the old man looked at him a long time and then approved of him. that was a sign i think...

some very interesting things are dealt with in this series, traditional ways, and family ties and the way that school is a coming of age ceremony for the young people, and a time when they take on their roles in their family and clan if there are some, and learn to relate to each other along those lines too. So much was said in these last three episodes yet so quietly and subtely. I will have to re watch them all now, several times.

I do think that the romance will indeed happen more clearly in the story, and hoepfullly we will get a season 2, there is certainly a lot that can happen.

Wasnt' that scene with the Sakura tree in bloom amazing? what a symbol of timeless quality and beauty, speaking for the traditional ways so clearly ... and there too Houtarou had to save the day....amazing how they introduced mystery even in the midst of the ceremony. very clever.

9/18/2012 9:37:29 AM #

Well, crossing that bridge isn't easy in traditional families, but everything depends on Eru and Houtarou. Nobody can stop them in the civil democratic world...

Agreed!

*nods* let's hope they'll do a second season with even more marvelous scenes. *_*

9/19/2012 12:27:13 AM #

Sakumashiki

@Mr.AdamEve
Agreed(´ω`)

Sakumashiki | 228 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/18/2012 12:29:26 AM #

merkkierkki

Really liked the ending. Though Oreki should have said that clearly in the end.

merkkierkki | 318 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/18/2012 7:22:11 AM #

Agreed, he's a wimp in the worst possible moments. Just declare your love already!

9/18/2012 1:11:13 AM #

chikorita157

The ending was good and I liked the animation of the last scene... it was kind of sad that it wasn't a true confession, but at least there is some romance going on.

chikorita157 | 271 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/18/2012 7:25:13 AM #

Yep, we just need to either read the novels or wait for a second season and we'll likely get the romance we were searching for...

9/18/2012 5:16:34 AM #

AdamEve

All thru the series they have taken an unusual path with events and characters and I was expecting it to be different. I think they meant to imply that both of them realized it and because of who they are they could not or did not want to say it out loud. If there is a season 2 i expect we may get an actual confession but it is hard to tell if they meant this to be all or if there is a door open for more. I hope so.

9/18/2012 9:36:18 AM #

Well, considering that the story is still running and has plenty of content...I expect the real confession to moved ahead in the future until the very final chapters of the story...

9/18/2012 7:09:06 AM #

I-I-it's over? T-T

Atleast they made the last episode enjoyable.

Fukou da | 4001 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/18/2012 7:22:41 AM #

Yeah, no more Eru or Mayaka! Isn't that sad?! ç_ç

Agreed, last episode was really a treat for the eyes...*_*

9/19/2012 5:21:47 AM #

AdamEve

it was lovely. I am really sad it is over for now, i enjoyed it a lot. Well lets hope BD sales continue to be good, i havent looked recently but they were good a week ago or so.

thanks for a very nice opening post and some great comments from everyone!

9/19/2012 8:01:35 AM #

Well, it'll take quite a while for the announcement (if it'll ever happen) so let's wait and see...

9/20/2012 5:47:23 AM #

SmithCB

I understand sales of the manga are going extremely well, and I'm sure they'd like to make sure they don't lose the momentum.  The problem is working with the author.  This series came out first in 2001, didn't it?  It's taken this long to get a quality product, and get it to the screen.  They're in a time crunch as to whether they can hold off while the story is developed, or go with the author helping on anime-original stuff.  If the story continues at least to graduation, I'd look for a couple of OVAs over the next 18 months to keep up the interest while the story is being completed, then another series or a couple of movies, depending on how they want to approach it.  The level of expectations is rather high, and another series might not work.  One movie at their graduation and either a movie or series as they return to her town and take up responsibilities might be the ticket.  We'll see how short people's memories and support are.

SmithCB | 45 Comments - starstar | Reply

9/20/2012 7:48:45 AM #

It all depends from Kyoto Animation's desires, because they've been able to churn multiple seasons in a very short period of time and I'm sure they can do it again.
There is more than enough material to adapt a new one cour season already and the story is still running so well...let's keep hope.

9/20/2012 6:56:08 AM #

AdamEve

yes i checked the sales and the manga is doing very well and the BD pre orders are good too. I agree it may turn into a movie or two, but i also think maybe with the way they focused on this as a very serious series, with major effort going into the art, style, characters, and music, they may have been thinking of a second full season, if things go well. There is one OVA already so that is a good sign, and they may have made another one or two of the, other series are issuing an OVA half way between the first and second seasons, HighSchool DxD just did that, as did Tamayura Hitotose and Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai is about to release one too. So we can be hopeful. I know the author is slow but the story is very good.

9/20/2012 7:49:26 AM #

Movie of Hyouka, I would watch that, but I still prefer the idea of a second season sooner or later like many other series got (see Chihayafuru!).

9/20/2012 3:57:45 PM #

Wieselhead

That could have been a little less subtle in this last scene, but oh well it was nice show overall. Houtarou was cool, but at first I wasn't sure if I could stand these smartass conversations of the group, the baka Satoshi and the less interesting mysteries, but before I realized it the characters grow on me quite a bit.

more please ^^

Wieselhead | 848 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/20/2012 4:00:51 PM #

They needed to keep everything as "unconclusive" as possible in order to have chances to open a second season. They've done a good choice...

Same thoughts, I wasn't expecting the characters to grow up on me like this... *_*

9/22/2012 2:32:37 AM #

Leap250

Man, that last scene was just full of possibilities. But yeah, what Houtarou was feeling is probably a bit different from Satoshi's. Then again, maybe Houtarou has already deduced Eru's feelings?

Seeing as this is KyoAni, the possibility of a second season is fairly good ^^

Leap250 | 330 Comments - starstarstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/22/2012 7:35:36 AM #

I doubt that Houtarou has such an awesome skill in the romantic field. He's just like us when it comes down to that...

9/24/2012 4:38:09 AM #

kirziga

Those dolls! I'll take them home!

A 2nd season is definitely a must, we want to see Ushio's equivalent here..

kirziga | 299 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/24/2012 9:43:32 AM #

*looks at kirziga again with an angry face*

Ahahah, well I'm not sure they would go that far considering that this is an high school story...

9/25/2012 4:05:16 AM #

kirziga

*looks back with a challenging face*

But, isn't Tomoya and Nagisa also highschoolers?

I just really hope that if there will be another season, they should give us more romance, as i can see this series has a potential of having a good love story..

kirziga | 299 Comments - starstarstarstarstar | Reply

9/25/2012 8:35:27 AM #

Well, they graduated before making childs...you know!

*nods* looking forward to such an event as well!

9/24/2012 5:54:46 PM #

AdamEve

I refer any who are interested in the future or the depth of the feelings between Eru and Houtarou to watch the OVA, which was episode 11.5, it is a full episode OVA and shows that they were aware of caring for each other back in the summer, and makes a lot clearer about the ending. No need to say things they both know already.

I started re watching this last night, and did the first two episodes, it is really a superb series, they took a strong direction with Eru very early in the show, and it works, it was a risk but it paid off big time in the power and the depth of the story and gave them a solid base to draw the viewer into the theme. The mysteries that they start with are fun too, for they are scaled for starting with a whimsical feel and then get more and more serious, drawing on some of the traditional ones, "ghost school girl", secret societies, and so forth and get more and more unusual and yet always fully within the daily life realm... and above all they convey life in a small provincial town very well, which is the real world of many of the Japanese viewers, being school age young people from similar backgrounds. I still hope we get to see more of Elder sister someday.

9/24/2012 7:44:48 PM #

I'll wait for the blu ray to watch all the series back from the beginning including the OVA. Will be a very long wait...

9/27/2012 7:05:24 PM #

Arisa

I'll prob want a second season because for chitanda and oreki's relastionship is just the begining.they have to get closer!!!>;D

Arisa | 2 Comments | Reply

9/27/2012 10:51:08 PM #

same thoughts, we need MOAR developments!

9/28/2012 4:03:18 PM #

Arisa

Haha yea!!I love Oreki and chitanda and plus the plot is also goo!Eventhough Chitanda get curious over some wierd things and Oreki can solve theories in some wierd simple things.lD
-slapped-

Arisa | 2 Comments | Reply

9/28/2012 5:31:55 PM #

*nods* I wonder if they'll actually produce a second season soon...

9/28/2012 9:22:19 PM #

AdamEve

Up to the middle of the series now on my first continuous re watch and it certainly gets dangerous and tough at times, the movie cycle is very rocky and a lot happens in a short time and with just a few key characters. Irisu is certainly a strong character and a perfect protagonist to push the story along. I am very much in awe of how well this was written at every stage both in the original and in the anime, for this series shows what anime can do, in just about every way, story, characters, art, and animation..even the music which is superbly done and so well keyed to the story as it unfolds. I am liking this more and more. And as i rewatch it, i get the strong feeling that they plan on a second season for sure. And maybe a movie.

10/3/2012 9:22:05 PM #

I'll wait for now, until all blu-ray are released.

10/3/2012 9:18:30 PM #

AdamEve

Vol 4 of the blu ray sold over 7000 copies this last week, second rank of any.!! good news

10/3/2012 9:21:41 PM #

Still far little compared to other hit series this season. Horizon has gone over 18K copies for a single volume....

10/10/2012 3:21:28 AM #

Kazuto

Seriously, I watch this Anime because of this pic, not knowing that it is only a fan art eh? But...I really enjoyed watching this Anime (one of the best Anime that I watched)..
www.emptyblue.it/.../hyouka_00772_thumb.jpg

BTW, Hyouka OVA1 will be released on January 13, 2013 right? but I check the list of episodes of hyouka, I was surprised that ep11.5 is an OVA? Any clarification please?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hy%C5%8Dka#Episode_list

Kazuto | 7 Comments | Reply

10/10/2012 7:59:03 AM #

Well, yes most of the images in this website are fan-art wallpapers, but it's nice to know that you enjoyed it!

Yes, episode 11.5 was considered an OVA because it never broadcasted in TV (but through a low quality internet stream I think...)

12/21/2012 5:34:11 PM #

AdamEve

Episode 11.5 which i have watched and studied with a lot of enjoyment is a full episode and helps a lot in expanding the story and the relationships of the series, you really wont get the full impact of the story without it. Yes it will be released soon and i think it is another sign that season 2 is either already in production or planned. I certainly hope so. This is superb Anime, some of the best ever and a really fine story . It is not an easy watch at times, and has its challenges but it earns the right to take these digressions and to challenge us as it does in the end ....i would say it is a very good series to watch after one has seem quite a bit of anime, not a good intro but one of the all time classics and one of the two best series of the entire year..and indeed of any year. I hope for more of this quality next year.
  Just re watching it again now.

12/21/2012 5:53:31 PM #

Next season Kyoto ANimation is focused over another series named "Tamako Market" so it'll take a while for us to have a second season of this, if it'll ever happen...

12/28/2012 7:34:45 PM #

Dominique Bredoteou

hoping for season 2 too. for me this story is so deep. its ironic to see, how the 'grey' male character, illuminated by the scenery of colorful leaves in the last ep.

p/s- as a man, i somehow agree the "This is what Satoshi was experiencing?" statement. but then, we can always agree to disagree, aint we?

Dominique Bredoteou | 2 Comments | Reply

12/28/2012 9:14:57 PM #

*nods* let's hope for a second season...

Of course we can, that's the spirit of blogging. talking and having discussions!

12/29/2012 6:40:49 PM #

Dominique Bredoteou

thats the spirit. btw, while waiting for the 2nd season, can you suggest me any anime that i can enjoy.

mmm. i like anime such as hyouka, sakamichi no apollon, and welcome to nhk. realistic stories, so deep it force us to think, and i dont like 'she/he is richest/smartest/bla2' type of characters.

10-20 episodes.

hope you can help me though, for i see you have wide knowledge in this.
can you can you?

Dominique Bredoteou | 2 Comments | Reply

12/29/2012 10:11:33 PM #

Mhn...probably True Tears will be your cup of tea then if you haven't watched that already...

1/16/2013 10:32:09 AM #

mairu_chan

is there any possibility that this anime can have a season 2?

mairu_chan | 1 Comments | Reply

1/16/2013 10:53:02 AM #

Yes, possibilities are there (good sales), but we have no official announcement whatsoever at the moment.

4/13/2013 11:51:59 PM #

kevvin axel

maybe the writer think to brought some new season, cause he want to make us curious (like Eru Chitanda) and i want see Houtarou action, and see Houtarou be Eru boyfriend (or maybe husband?)

be like Houtarou is cool right ???

kevvin axel | 2 Comments | Reply

4/14/2013 9:19:14 AM #

*waits and hopes for a second season in the future*

4/15/2013 4:44:20 AM #

kevvin axel

hope the light novel is not end ...

kevvin axel | 2 Comments | Reply

4/15/2013 8:15:30 AM #

It's a novel (normal book instead of a light novel), but I don't know if its still running or not...I'll have to check...

7/2/2013 5:02:55 PM #

d3vileye

Btw this was the anime i whanted to finish before i started watching Hentai ouji to Waranai Neko.
Do you know anything for a second season maybe it was really interesting for me to watch and fun.
Plus the mysteries provided by the people that made it were really good and interesting to see worked on i really liked it and am hoping for a second season of it all thow it looks like its a year and a half or something like that old so i gues the chance is little by this time around
what a shame.

d3vileye | 148 Comments - starstarstarstar | Reply

7/2/2013 6:40:53 PM #

Still no official announcement for a second season, let's keep hoping my friend...

7/2/2013 6:44:03 PM #

d3vileye

No dice hmm well yea lets keep on hoping Feal and all the fans of this anime round the world xD ill watch Hentai ouji in the mean time really looking forward to seeing the fun stuff you were talking bout in the post for the last episode ^^ see you soon with a opinion for it.

d3vileye | 148 Comments - starstarstarstar | Reply

7/2/2013 7:05:31 PM #

Goodluck! Let us know!

8/16/2013 3:43:31 PM #

chita

you're wrong with one point.
at the end when houtaro asks himself if his friend felt the same he means that if he's really ready to sacrifice his energy concerving future or if he will the rest of his life by her side. if he's really ready to give up his peaceful life. it leaves open if he really understands that he loves chitanda...

chita | 1 Comments | Reply

8/16/2013 3:48:54 PM #

Yeah, agreed depending on the meaning it would make the series ends there without any hope for a sequel. I hope they will give this one a second season though...

2/21/2014 11:34:12 PM #

unrail

I just rewatched Hyouka for the third time. Does anybody have news about a possible second season? I need more of this stuff... I'm even alright with only rumors or speculations. Just give me some hope I can cling to... please.

unrail | 1 Comments | Reply

4/14/2014 11:09:13 PM #

prisen

*Hearth

prisen | 2 Comments | Reply

4/14/2014 11:08:40 PM #

prisen

Ohaio, I just finished this anime and I love it. It's from 2012 so I'm not giving up hopes for the second season yet. Does anyone have any more info ? Every time an anime ends like this it just hurts my heath

prisen | 2 Comments | Reply

4/28/2014 9:02:46 AM #

Boardplayer

The manga is still going. The new volume was released on April 26 2014

Boardplayer | 1 Comments | Reply

4/29/2014 11:37:02 PM #

Azure

Please, we all need more of this wonderful stuff. I also can live with rumours by now T_T I think in the meantime I'll just re-rewatch the series once again...

Azure | 1 Comments | Reply

Minamijuujisei Renka - Actually yes, am I wrong? *laughs*
Minamijuujisei Renka - Actually yes, am I wrong? *laughs*
Minamijuujisei Renka - Wait, Im not that old! Not yet!
Minamijuujisei Renka - Wait, Im not that old! Not yet!
Minamijuujisei Renka - Of course, you asked for it!
Minamijuujisei Renka - Of course, you asked for it!
Minamijuujisei Renka - Are you serious? You look even more suspicious...
Minamijuujisei Renka - Are you serious? You look even more suspicious...
Minamijuujisei Renka - This was the perfect trap to stop these two girls from going berserk...
Minamijuujisei Renka - Can I join you girls?! *evil smirk*
Minamijuujisei Renka - Can I join you girls?! *evil smirk*
Minamijuujisei Renka - Never! That would be such a waste for this world...*nods*

MoriyamaMoriyama